Sunday 24 January 2010

Decade is Now!!


The last decade has been hugely eventful musically, dominated at the beginning by the might of Ulver, Laibach, Kraftwerk and Arcturus to be later joined by the irrepressible Current 93 amongst others. However, to my surprise, I am beginning to think my album of the decade is Robert Wyatt’s Comicopera. Any way, here is a list of some important albums:

Ulver – Blood Inside (2005)
Ulver – Perdition City (2001)
Arcturus – Sham Mirrors (2002)
Laibach – WAT (2003)
Current 93 – Black ships ate the Sky
Robert Wyatt – Comic Opera
Scott Walker – The Drift
Burial – Burial
Bohren & der Club of Gore – Black Earth
Solefald – In Harmonia Universali
Antony and the Johnsons – Antony and the Johnsons (2000)
cLouddead – cLouddead (2001)
The Meads of Asphodel – The excommunication of Christ (2001)
Manes – Vilosophe (2003)
DJ Signify – Sleep no more (2004)
Enslaved – Isa (2004)
Sage Francis – A Healthy Distrust (2005)
Bobby Conn – King for a day (2007)
Deathspell Omega - Fas - Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum (2007)
Thee Maladoror Kollective – Pilot (2007)
Virus – Carheart
Bar Kokhba – Lucifur: Book of Angels Vol.10 (2008)
Current 93 – Aleph…
Ephel Duath – The painters Palette
Om – Conferrence of the Birds

Things to note:

This is more than 20
This is by no means a definitive top 25
I’ve included WAt where as Tim excluded it yet found space for Volk and Kunst; very interesting.
The more I look at the list the less happy I am with it.
I hope there is something here new to you which you pursue and learn to love.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Dan, it's good to finally get your list. I was interested in our different Laibach choices. There are a number of metal albums I haven't heard and I can't find downloads for. I'm sure they wont quite tick the right boxes for me, but I'll give them a go at some point. I have managed to get a copy of Bohren & der Club Gore which I will investigate soon.
    It's funny how as soon as you've decided, you look over those choices and start questioning your judgement. I think I'd need a solid week of listening to my best albums and re-evaluating.
    Good job Dan Sim

    ReplyDelete