Tuesday 31 March 2009

Pivot - O Soundtrack My Heart (2008)


Much of my discussions in music over the last couple of months have revolved around the best albums of 2008. Unfortunately I had concluded that 2008 wasn't a great year for music. Many reviewers have highlighted Fleet Foxes as stand out, which on repetitive listens I have defined as boring. The Wire, usually a reliable source for the more cultured listener put as their most favoured record the new offering from in demand producer The Bug. I was some what surprised on listening to this record that although there were some very impressive atmospheric and dubstep sounds infused through this record, the overall flavour was not to my taste with an over reliance on obtuse Garage MCs clogging the album up from start to finish.

I have really despaired in my attempt to pinpoint an 'excellent' record from 2008. My despair is mostly aimed at myself rather than the of world music as I have concluded I just can't have looked hard enough. So it is with this in mind that I am happy to mention last years work by John Zorn which is brilliant, the stunning fully Electronica immersed new album from the mighty Laibach, and a piece of wonderful post rock from a band I have newly discovered, Pivot.

O Soundtrack My Heart is the second album from the Australian post rock band Pivot. The album is their first release on Warp Records and was mixed by John McEntire best known for being in pioneering post rock band Tortoise. The band come with their own weighty credentials with Laurence Pike and Adrian Klumpes both having been members of the outstanding electronic jazz trio Triosk (now disbanded).

As for the album, they have produced an exciting piece of music that has a wealth of rock diversity which flows effortlessly through an upbeat carousel of musical wonder. They avoid the atmospheric melancholic sound of God Speed, whilst not committing totally to the more electronic plod of Tortoise. They have truly found the middle ground which will no doubt appeal to wider variety of listeners, whilst still being a bold and at points demanding listen.

YES, I am pleased to have another album of 2008 that I think is 'excellent' and I offer it humbly as a recommendation to you fine readers.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment